The Hoosac Tunnel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Photography, I love digital infrared photography, History, Computers and of course computer games, Psychology, Strip Clubs, Oh, and of course ghost hunting and paranormal studies.

Posted 11 March 2003 - 11:48 AM

Just curious, anyone who lives in Mass. have you ever been to/investigated the Hoosac Tunnel AKA "The Bloody Pit"? This is a well known haunted location yet there does not seem to be much on the web as far as serious investigations.  

Here are some facts: The Hoosac Tunnel lies in Northwestern Massachusetts, and runs 4.82 miles under the Berkshire Mountain range. It is one of the great engineering feats of the 19th century, and took 22 years to complete. Work Begun on 1st Tunnel   1851, Final Opening from East To West 1874, First Train Thru 1875. Cost to construct (in 1870 dollars)  $21,241,842, Total Length 25,081 feet, lives lost during construction 196.  

The lives lost during construction 196, this was partially due to a new invention, Nitroglycerine many who died, either died quickly or horribly slow. It was know as the bloody pit due to the high cost in lives and dollars, many viewed the whole project as being cursed.  

There are many interesting ghost tales about the tunnel but I have yet to find a serious investigation of it. I found these directions to the East Portal on a web site: Should you want to explore this area yourself, the East portal is easy to locate, and very accessible. Take Route 2 East out of North Adams, and climb to the top of the mountain. About .4 miles after you pass the East summit (Moores Summit and the Elks Memorial), look for a road on your left called "Whitcomb Hill Rd". Turn here and follow the road all the way to the bottom. Turn left on River Rd. and continue until you reach the railroad crossing. The tunnel is about 1000 feet to the left.

A word of caution both real and paranormal for anyone going there, I believe to the best of my knowledge that the tunnel and tracks are active and that Boston RR runs freight trains on it daily. Now for the paranormal warning, from everything that I have read about the ghost stories that the ghosts/spirits that haunt the tunnel tend to be violent in nature.  There was only one story I read where a ghost helped someone escape danger, the rest contained beatings by spirits, one murder, and one person that was never seen again.

I have also read where people have walked the whole 5 miles in the dark and nothing has happened to them.
Posted Image Founder of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Team - www.ctparanormal.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ghosthunterx

#2 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Photography, I love digital infrared photography, History, Computers and of course computer games, Psychology, Strip Clubs, Oh, and of course ghost hunting and paranormal studies.

Posted 11 March 2003 - 12:09 PM

By the way here is an interesting article on the tunnel and some of the stories:

http://beacon.mcla.m...01/f_tunnel.htm

BTW - the death toll changes on every web page 196, 197, in this article it says 200.
Posted Image Founder of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Team - www.ctparanormal.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ghosthunterx

#3 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 04:35 PM

Hi, Ohhorror!
I think I remember seeing something about it...wasn't that the site of the Bunnyman murders<no, not like Echo and the Bunnymen>or am I thinking of something else?
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#4 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 05:20 PM

Sorry Whispers, The Bunnyman Bridge is an actual place in WV (if I remember correctly) it is more urban myth than anything else.

The Hoosac Tunnel is quite real a good many men died building it and the ghost stories are numerous about it as well.

I do know that students from the nearby college have gone there but to my knowledge there has never been a serious investigation.

Guilford Transportation now runs freight trains on the track I would assume they do not run all the time, if someone did want to do an investigation there I would suggest getting permission and also to find out when the trains are running so you don't become a ghost yourself!

#5 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 12:00 AM

*LOL*Good advice. Thanks for the clarification, I agree that the BMB is more of an Urban Legend, almost like the Candyman ;D
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#6 Tatum23

Tatum23

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 10:22 PM

Hi.  I'm new here and I had to post in this topic.  I go to college in North Adams, MA, where one end of the tunnel is located.  Tonight I went to the tunnel with some friends of mine.  We're amature ghosthunters, and we all have some degree of second sight etc.  We go to the local cemetaries alot because they are wicked haunted (I have some pictures).  Well, not much was going on at the tunnel tonight.  My pants legs were ruffled, my finger was pushed off my camera, and whenever I closed my eyes all I saw was fire.  It was unusually warm in the tunnel as well.  North Adams is a very haunted place.  It used to be a fort during the French and Indian War.  There were massacres there and the Hoosac River has some real negative points.  It's a really interesting city. There is a museum in Heritage State Park, if anyone ever comes here.  The visitor's center is a Hoosac Tunnel museum.  There is even a video on the history of the place.  It's pretty sweet.  I'll probably post more about this in the future.

#7 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:08 AM

[glow=red,2,300]Tatum23[/glow]

Thanks for posting a response to my topic. The tunnel is a classic and famous haunted area, I found it odd how there has been almost zero in the way of serious investigations taking place there.

Is the train still running on the tracks? I had heard that freight trains still run during the day and at night, I thought that this might be a cause for the low number of investigations. Then I also heard that the police patrol there and will arrest anyone caught there.

I would love to see any photos from the tunnel! Be very careful while investigating the tunnel it is a very dangerous area.

#8 Tatum23

Tatum23

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 09:39 AM

The tunnel is patroled by cops, but not as much as they would like you to think.  Trains run about every 3 hours on the tracks at night.  It's pretty dangerous to be there, so I wouldn't reccommend it.  I know a bunch of people from my school who have gone there.  It's kind of a rite of passage for MCLA studens, I guess.  :(  

#9 Tatum23

Tatum23

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 07:54 PM

*bump*

I just got back to college and everyone here has been talking about hauntings on campus.  I am a Resident Advisor and we are just about the only students on campus until Saturday.  In my buliding there is supposedly a ghost of a girl on the 6th floor (although if she exists I think she likes to travel to the 5th and 7th floors too).  In another residence hall there is supposedly a ghost on the 8th floor.  I don't know if that is true because I have never lived there.  We talk alot about the Tunnel, too.  It seems that alot of my fellow students have been there, but they don't really want to talk about what went on.  If anyone else has anything to say about North Adams I would love it read it.  I'm always curious as to the paranormal in my town.  *hugs and love*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users