• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lone

lone

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 06:46 PM

Port Arthur was a place where convicts were transported from England in th eighteen hundreds. Once the convicts arrived here some for crimes like stealing a loaf of bread they were treated like animals leg irons and ball and chain to make sure there was no escape but they still tried. Solitary confinement whippings it is no wonder the place is haunted there is the prison itself,the parsons house and the commandents house all belived to be haunted not to mention the Isle of the dead where the prisoners were all taken to be buried.The place looks like a great big sandstone town. It is a tourist attraction now but you can feel the misery from the buildings seeping out.

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 04:36 AM

I didn't realize that Tasmania was also used as a penal colony, I know at one point Australia was and the State of Maryland here in the US
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 lone

lone

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:45 AM

There were two penal settlements in Tasmania which is an island state of Australia one was Port Arthur the other was Sarah Island which I have never visited but from what I have heard it was just as cruel and unfriendly as the other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users