the Sunken Town of Livermore... ? (PA)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nuno75

nuno75

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 12:25 AM

hi everyone... i've run into two or three accounts of "the sunken town of livermore" (in pennsylvania) and the related cemetary... but everything i've read is all personal accounts of people who visited there, http://dawghouse.top...nnsylvania.html  being the best one i've found, but what i'm looking for now is some sort of official information on the history of the place... me and a group of people are planning on spending the day there in a week or two, and all i've heard is that it's a town that is sitting at the bottom of a lake, with a portion of the town that is perfectly preserved still along the shore, out of the water. i think i can locate it geographically but i just found it to be very strange that something like this is mentioned almost nowhere on the internet... you'd think this would be the find of a lifetime for people like ghosthunters incorporated (who i would also like to get in touch with regarding something else.. )

#2 MTV

MTV

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:34 AM

I don't think I have ever heard about the sunken town of Livermore.If anyone hear's about,I'd like to know.It sound's interesting and haunted. ???

#3 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 07:55 AM

Hmmmm......Blairsville is not far from where I live.  I used to drive through it on Route 22 all the time when I was driving to and from school.

But I have never heard anything like what was described in the story.  I have also fished a lot of the lakes in Westmoreland County, back in my younger days. Let me see what I can find out from some others.

#4 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 10:40 AM

Mrs.,

I saw it mentioned on another board but not sure what came about it.  Don't know myself since I've very geographically challenged even in our immediate area.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#5 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 11:10 AM

OK, legand first since its more fun:

a canal was being built through the town and residents didn't want to leave so the state flooded it anyway killing the people still in the town and you can still see the buildings as they were at the time of the flood, this of course means its haunted by the former residents.

truth, the town was dismantled in 1950 to build the canal.

http://www.conemaugh...os/Livermor.htm
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#6 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 11:13 AM

Masq,

Great research!  Thanks!!!!!!!!I

I think I have been fishing on that lake, behind the Conemaugh Dam.  Didn't catch a darn thing if I remember correctly.

#7 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 11:36 AM

I really can't take the credit for research, just for having a good memory

#8 nuno75

nuno75

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 09:23 PM

well, that's kind of a bummer.... the place is definitely far less interesting to me now... but i think i'd still like to have a run around the place... the cemetery has its own batch of stories... i do appreciate the info though, discouraging as it is... it is exactly what i was looking for.

#9 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 09:16 AM

Well, we took a trip to the "lake of Death" yesterday, it was myself, my husband, nemrel, and another person, Paula showed us around.

We went during the day and started off by checking out the cemetary.  Very interesting place.  Some very old tombstones (although it looks as if quite a bit of vandalism had been done, many broken stones and many patched up stones)  I think the oldest stone we found dated back to 1817 as the death date and it had fallen over and was sunken in to the ground.  We could make out a few things on it.

As we were walking around the cemetary, dark clouds started to roll in and thunder rumbled in the background.  I was sure that it was going to pass us right by, but we started back towards the cars.  That is when the sky opened up and it started to pour.  So we took a break and went to Sheetz for some MTO's and then back to the site.  At this point, it was a slight drizzle.

We walked down to one of the bridges over the lake/river.  Turns out, this was bridge #4.  The water had a bit of debris in it and was very "brackish" looking.  Didn't look like anything in it, except logs and some trees growing out of it.  We continued to walk along the trail and came to Bridge #5.  Same water conditions, we walked to the end, read the sign giving us info on how the bridges were built and the fact that they had been moved in the early 1900's due to flooding.  It was at the end of the bridge that Nemrel heard some strange sounds, like a dog barking or howling.  So as we walked back, we tried an EVP session, but don't know how that turned out yet.  

My husband had taken off and walked down to the edge of the water, not much to report, except it looked like there was no life in the water, not even any ducks on the water or birds flying near it.  This lake is probably dead due to the polution of the mine run off.

We turned around and walked back, headed towards bridge three.  Now here was a different setting, there was actually life in this part.  I guess the way this river meanders, the pollution doesn't come in until after bridge 3.

Anyhow, we are going to look into this further.  The town was only flooded out in 1952, so we think there has to be someone still alive that was living in the town when it was flooded, we'll see what we find out.

#10 nemrel

nemrel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 11:07 AM

Did you get the photo I sent your way??? If so why not post it on this board? Can't wait to go back at night.

#11 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 11:09 AM

Posted it on the Spiritography board.  Here is a link to it:

http://www.ghostvill...;num=1060025948

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users