7 gates of hell, York PA

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Ph33R

Ph33R

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 03:50 AM

Hey everyone, ive been reading about the 7 gates of hell in York, PA. ive just got a few questions.
(1) Whats at the end of the 7 Gates, ive heard is a church or a asylum?
(2) Ive also heard that noone has ever past the 5th gate, is this true?
(3) Plus has anyone got any photos or any other infomation, i would go there, but i live in Austraila so i have no way to go check it out myself :) but one day, when i get the cash i will try and travel over to the USA to check out all the cool stuff you have over there. Plus if anyone has a list of places in Austraila that are worth a look please tell me.

Thanks
Ph33R

• Guests

Posted 07 May 2003 - 09:14 PM

Hey ph33r,
I live 15 minutes away from York. 7 gates is old. I am 18 and i have been informed that most of our parents and teachers have visited the long trail through the woods, known formerly as Toad Road. There are many legends to the happenings. 3 main ones: The psycho assylum break out, the church, and the farm where the father killed his sons   or the other way around..... In my High School, a few students have rekindled the legend. I played my part by trying to convince everyone that it is a hoax  and it is based on mind games. If you visit during the day it is a trail through the woods with "gates" scattered at different distances. All in all this is an 8 mile or so hike. At night suddenly it is rumored to be haunted "with things flying towards your head" and other strange happenings. I personally havent made my way up there yet, but will within the next month, when my research is fully complete, I will chance it. I say chance it not because of the "ghosts and goblins and suicidal psychos" but more so because of the hicks that carry shot guns longer than most people have ever seen and police who have strategically placed NO TRESSPASSING signs EVERYWHERE.  I was told that according to the York Records dept, the building foundation (what people think is the church, farm, assylum...)that is still left off of Toad Road, was at one time a mental hospital. Although, it is a very odd place for a mental hospital, i can't know the truth until i look for my self at the library and records dept. I will let you know more later when i am done. I found no records online about a mass assylum slaughter by 2 escapees that then commited suicide. One would think that this would be documented at least ONCE online in some newspaper.
About the 5th gate... once again the mind games... My friend recently made it to the 6th or 7th and was stopped by a "little girl" saying "stop, turn around, go back" the image then disappeared and he hauled BAD_WORD out. I have heard that a person went through the last gate and never came back. I REALLY believe this is a rumor.
As for coming to USA, if it is JUST because of the 7 gates of hell that you wish to visit, don't bother, it wont be worth the time. A haunted hay ride would give you the same effect.... Other than that, we would be glad to have you.

For all of you that wish to do your own research.... ITS TOUGH nothing credible is online, everyone seems to get their information from someone else. Even if someone does find facts, no one believes the person. I feel that i will be treated the same way, and i dont blame you. it is more gratifying to find the info on your own anyway.
One more thing, there is a message thread floating somewhere around online about the directions to the place. It is the one that calls one of the roads: duck run road.  First off the directions themselves are basically right. the person had no sense of direction though all the lefts are rights  and all the rights are lefts.  2nd the "duck run road" is actually Druck Valley road.
if you wish to find directions take yourself from 83-south  emmigsville exit to 1700 range road (the pull off area they speak off)
Use www.mapquest.com and get a map of 1700 Range road, York, PA, 17402.
when the map pops up, right above the map picture, you can use an aerial view to see the actual area. I found that very useful.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Tom

• Guests

Posted 25 July 2003 - 04:34 PM

So is it not even really worth going there?  

#4 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 04:58 PM

I've found that most legandary haunted locations are truly just urban legands, but what fun is knowing that ahead of time?
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#5 Alabastor Crowley

Alabastor Crowley

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:33 PM

The truth about the asylum is that it caught fire and the inmates that didn't burn escaped and the sheriff's dept. had to scower the woods and used deadly force on the inmates. It has already been thuroughly researched in the book Wierd U.S.

#6 Enigmatic Essence

Enigmatic Essence

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:55 PM

I hear Stull, Ks is a supposed gate (out of the 7).

I Googled "7 Gates of Hell" and all I'm getting is rock music links?

B E L I E V E

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

#7 LadyWolf

LadyWolf

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I have pretty eclectic tastes so most anything interests me.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

http://czarism.com/t...n-gates-of-hell - Here's a link of some history and someone who's been there.

http://www.belowtops...thread303540/pg

http://www.ghosthunt...0Hell.php?id=aa

Above are a couple more links. The last one has an actual team with equipment. It's interesting and probably worth a couple looks.
Suz"Fear conscripts its own armies, takes its own prisoners."

#8 greyhoundsrgr8

greyhoundsrgr8

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

I have lived near York, Pa all my life and have heard this legend ever since I was a teenager. I am now 37 years old and have decided to do some research on this. I am hearing alot about a book called "Weird Pennsylvania" which apparently contains a story about this legend. I plan to read this book in the near future. I have checked many websites that talk about this legend, but nothing credible has turned up. My husband and I decided one day last summer to take the motorcycle and ride to the area where it is supposed to be. We walked around a little, but didn't want to go too far in fear that the people who live nearby would call the police. There was one thing in particular that stood out about the area....the only thing you could hear was crickets. That was it...you couldn't hear any birds or any other wildlife. Strange if you ask me. I have been on Mapquest and looked at the ariel map and you can see a visible trail leading through a creek and then to a very large open area. If there ever was an insane asylum...I would have to think this is where it would've been. Soooo, the search continues...if I find out anything credible, I will be sure to report it here first!

Michelle :wow: :clap:

#9 siamese

siamese

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

Back in 1987 I was in 11 grade and grew up in the red land area. It was still called Toad Road. Me and a couple of friends went back there. The path visiable and still there. It was a long open path. Before we got to the first gate there was an old abandoned house. We went in. It was creepy. We ventured on to the path. We got to the first gate and that was all I could do. It was a long creepy night with just a flash light. I later returned back in 2002 with friends. Found out it changed to Trout Run. We ventured back. The path was no longer visiable. We however did make is to the abandoned house that was still standing in 1987. We could not find even the first gate. The path was so grown in. A person could go in circles litterly till thy stumbled upon any gate. The only question I have is I have been trying to find the name of the mental asylum that was back there? All I can say is If I ever go back it will be in the day light and Im still trying to satalite view.

Hey everyone, ive been reading about the 7 gates of hell in York, PA. ive just got a few questions.
(1) Whats at the end of the 7 Gates, ive heard is a church or a asylum?
(2) Ive also heard that noone has ever past the 5th gate, is this true?
(3) Plus has anyone got any photos or any other infomation, i would go there, but i live in Austraila so i have no way to go check it out myself :lol: but one day, when i get the cash i will try and travel over to the USA to check out all the cool stuff you have over there. Plus if anyone has a list of places in Austraila that are worth a look please tell me.

Thanks
Ph33R

#10 MSFproductions

MSFproductions

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:06 AM

I Live right by Range Rd. I Live in the trailor park that's right beside Range Rd. I'll video tape going down that rd and post it on You Tube.

#11 juliet_keller

juliet_keller

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, Softball, Kids, and My Man

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:13 AM

We're in Ohio, how far is from the PA and Ohio boarder
You know our love was meant to be, the kind of love that lasts foreverAnd I want you here with, from tonight until the end of time,You're the meaning in my life, You're the inspiration,You bring feeling to my life, You're the inspiration,No one needs you more than I need you...You're the Inspiration~ChicagoI Love You, Baby!Julie and Dave are "The Spirit Stalkers of Ohio"www.thespiritstalkersofohio.webs.comCome see what we are all about, our galleries of evidence, and we would love for you to sign our guest book!

#12 jodiemeglio

jodiemeglio

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

I've tried to find this place several times in 2003 and I think I'm going to give it one more thorough search this summer.
The first time we parked along range road and walked up what appeared to be an old driveway. We heard a lot of really strange noises(we were not drunk or on drugs) while walking up this road. This road eventually lead to a maintained dirt road, that has a gate and connects to range road farther down, which wasn't what we were expecting to find. We walked up the dirt road and decided to turn back. We turned into the woods where we entered the dirt road instead of following it down to range road. when we entered the woods a giant pickup truck came flying up the dirt road shining a spotlight towards us. We crawled out of sight of the light and ran back to the car.

The next trip i went to the the edge of Trout Run(Toad RD) and parked in the corner. There was a gate to the left, a gate that went straight and a house on the right. We took the left gate and ended up at the creek, it was early march and we weren't crossing it. We turned back and took the other gate. We walked quite a few miles, I'm suprised we didn't run into codorus furnace rd. We didn't really find anything but there was a really cool rock along the creek with stuff painted on it from the 60's and 70's. I think I'll take some pictures of that whenever I return.

I talked with someone from GHI (www.ghosthuntersinc.org) a few years ago and he seemed to think there was a right turn off of the road that i had missed. I tried to google map it but it won't zoom in far enough.

If anyone has any more information or has found another trail, please let me know!

Jodie

#13 ashaffer

ashaffer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:23 PM

Hello my name is ashley and I just wanted to add this info to you guys. I work with a guy that lived in york all his life and he was born in 1942, he will be 66 this year. He said when he was a young boy him and his friends use to go party and camp out in the area and he said that there was an asylum there with people in it because of them yelling into thr night, the Doctor also lived there too and his name was Dr. Belknap (that should help you find more info). He also said when the doctor would see them, he would shoot at them in the middle of the night to get them out of the area because of all the kids pulling pranks and jokes on him. He also said that the Doctor was kinda nutty himself. Before we had to return back to work he did say something about a fire. The next time I talk to him I will find out more about it.... Hope this was helpful.. Contact me if you have any questions...

#14 parawatch

parawatch

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Founder of SVPA Ghost Watch, Ghost Hunting

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:14 PM

A friend of mine that goes out with me on some investigations was out in this area a long time ago, I showed him a Birds Eye from this link here http://maps.live.com...TEwMy4wMDc4MTI1

Since it has been a long time he cannot remember since it was like 1 am in the morning in the dark.

I took a snap shot of the area the appears to be where the path is leading to the creek.

Hope this is it

http://i225.photobuc...-WATCH/7GOH.jpg

Any corrections let me know.

John

#15 Kelsey

Kelsey

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

I was actually there today but during the day but never at night(my friends have been there at night) but you can only see the 1st gate during the day, and i dont believe anyone has made it past the 5th one. But the story is that there was a mental hospital behind the 7th gate that burned long ago, and the gate kept them in, and they were used to keep others out. So all the people died in the fire. And after each gate at night something is supposed to happen, i know after the 3rd gate your phone goes crazy. and i know people who have found human bones there, and have brought them back so its not just something they said. but its down a gravel road in the woods.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users