• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 12:42 PM

I will be in Pittsburgh later this month and would love to visit a hanuted location for my "Legends of the Supernatural" column.

If anyone know a good place in Pittsburgh, please let me know.

-Jeff
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 02:52 PM

Jeff, most of the places I know of are private houses and one business but last time I checked it was closed...wait till Mrsspookypants comes back.  In the meantime try this site

http://www.pittsburg...news_update.htm

it also links to the Pittsburgh Ghosthunters Site which is what I found this through.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 07:20 PM

What about the area that used to be the stomping grounds for the [gulp] PIGMASTER?

:o

Closer to Monroeville, but still near Pitts.

Maybe he's more urban legend than part of a "truly" haunted site .... still, pretty freaky story in any event.
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

• Guests

Posted 13 December 2002 - 06:36 PM

Hey Jeff,

I'll be back on Sunday and will probably be on the site aroun 7 PM.  If you can pop in, we can chat.  Otherwise I'll send you a PM.  

Right now, I can't log into the site because the system I am on won't accept cookies.

But Masq sent you to the right place, Paul should be able to give you lots of good suggestions and info.

Camile, tell me more about this "pigmaster"?  I have never heard of it!

#5 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 10:16 AM

Camile, tell me more about this "pigmaster"?  I have never heard of it!

A friend of mine used to live in Monroeville (trivial sidenote:  her uncle was an extra zombie in "Dawn of the Dead").  "Pigmaster" is actually supposed to be a real person.  A crazy, old coot who lives by himself in a rundown pig farm on a rural road out near monroeville.  He would post crazy things along the side of the road--large, crudely drawn signs warning people to stay away or die (words to that effect), strange "sculptures" made out of trash (and something else ?? :o).

After a while, rumors would circulate that he'd trap, kidnap, torture and kill passing motorists, or curious kids who happened to trespass on his property. Doubt that part of the story (sounds like a plot right out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre  ::)).
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#6 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 09:59 AM

Okay, back to normal now....

Jeff, how much time do you have in Pgh?  When will you guys be getting here?  I would suggest Moundesville, the prison in WV, but it is closed for the season.

Camille, I have never heard that story before.  I work in the Monroeville area and I am going to have to talk to some people that I work with that are from around  here to see what they know.

Boy, it sucks coming back from vacation!

#7 dresmith

dresmith

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 12:18 PM

Wish I would have joined this site sooner!  There is the "Haunted" Harmony Inn.  In Harmony PA.  However, I get no vibes from that place.  Many people do claim that it is haunted.

#8 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 02:53 PM

THe Ambridge area is supposedly well haunted no wonder Harmony is too.  The old G.C. Murpheys basement was supposedly haunted, General "Mad Anthony" Wayne is supposed to haunt a bar and a few other places that are skipping my mind at the moment.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

#9 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 12:13 PM

Here's one I just picked up on while researching a different topic, one which I never heard of before:

THE MURDER SWAMP

It's located along the Beaver River near New Castle, north of Pittsburgh.  An unnamed island is also part of the swamp.  Supposedly, it once served as a dumping ground for a serial killer, who at one point was also thought to be the "Mad Butcher" of Kingsbury Run.

#10 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:16 AM

Hey Camille,

That is another one that I haven't heard of.  How about you Masq, that is over in your area?

I still haven't found anyone that has heard of "Pigmaster" either.

#11 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 03:34 PM

Hello, again.

Yes, I have not heard of the "Murder Swamp" before, either.  But I picked up on this tale from an anthology put out by Western PA historian and former Pittsburgh Press writer George Swetnam (who is now, sadly, deceased).  It was originally an article he wrote in 1954.  The anthology, if you're interested, is called Devils, Ghosts and Witches:  Occult Folklore of the Upper Ohio Valley.  (1988; McDonald/Sward Publishing Co.) It contains quite a few tales and legends around Pitts--pretty interesting stuff.

As for Pigmaster, I don't know what to tell you.  The tale is what it is.  

Funny, just last Thursday night, I was cleaning up my website's email and came across an email back in early October from another ex-Pitts resident about the Pigmaster (and another equally gruesome legend, "Hells Gate").  Sorry you couldn't turn up something on the Pigmaster.  It's such a unique legend, not like the "crybaby bridges" or "orphanage fires" or "melonheads" that seem to occur in every state.  Maybe try some area message boards and see what turns up.  :-/

#12 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 03:42 PM

Maybe Pigmaster is just one of those tales that died out?  The people that I have asked are all current residents of Monroeville, but maybe they are just too embarassed to admit it!  I will keep digging.

I will also have to check out that book, probably has some good tales in it.

Thanks Camille!

#13 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 04:26 PM

Maybe they're not embarrassed.  Maybe....they're trying to hide something.... :o

lol!

Yeah, definitely get your hands on that book--it's a great read.

#14 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 03:59 AM

No never heard about the island, it would have to pretty small though since the Beaver River isn't very big.  My ex is from that area and he never said anything about it even when we were talking about whatever was living in our first house with us.  I'm sorry not feeling well so my memory isn't working but isn't there someone here from New Castle? Did you ever hear of this?
Posted Image

Myspace

Posted Image

#15 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 05:38 AM

Well I don't think anyone is hiding anything....they are too boring ;D

And I think it is dresmith that is from the Evans City area.  Hope he pops in with some information.

Masq, sorry to hear your not feeling well......hope you feel better soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users