• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

I like the way Shawn differentiated religion and spirituality. Religion is the path, and spirituality is the intended destination.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#17 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Trying not to step on the land mines that others have planted in front of me. No sense saying more, as this will be removed anyway.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

I think you would need to define "spirituality" before I'd say much about it. If you start mixing religion, however you might define it, with the first term, you can get a real mass of confusion, with everybody expressing their own value system :)

#18 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

I think you would need to define "spirituality" before I'd say much about it. If you start mixing religion, however you might define it, with the first term, you can get a real mass of confusion, with everybody expressing their own value system :)

Spirituality....Humm..... Looking for what others may think.... Not really trying to mix with religion... I believe the two can be seperated and not one in the same. :ghost:
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#19 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

I would broadly define spirituallity as the practice of focusing on non-material aspects of human existence.

I would describe religion as the codified practice of spirituality.

As an athiest & general all around non-believer, I suppose my answer as to the purpose of these things is much different from the majority of people here.

Regards, Canis

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#20 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

I would broadly define spirituallity as the practice of focusing on non-material aspects of human existence.

As an athiest & general all around non-believer, I suppose my answer as to the purpose of these things is much different from the majority of people here.

Regards, Canis

So you only suppose your answer is different but did not give a clue to your answer of the perposed question of the purpose. Although different, your in put would be greatly accepted into my thought processes of this subject.
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#21 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

Regards, Canis

So you only suppose your answer is different but did not give a clue to your answer of the perposed question of the purpose. Although different, your in put would be greatly accepted into my thought processes of this subject.

Well, I was not sure if I would be opening a can of worms or not. ;) Since you asked, I will elaborate, but first let me say that I do not intend to insult anyone for their beliefs here. I do not look down on believers or think ill of them because they look at things differently than I do. If anything, I envy them a little.

I feel that spirituality & religion were created by man for two primary reasons. First to explain things that are not easily understandable through casual observation, and secondly to shield ourselves from facing some very unpleasant truths about the human condition.

Our lives are short, brutal, unfair and filled with confusing events. Spiritualtity & religion give us hope that we will continue after death, that our beloved dead are still with us, that those who escape justice in this life will face it in the next. It allows us to pretend there is a great and important purpose to all the randomness we see around us. It allows us to pretend that our lives have a real and important purpose.

It is very difficult to come to grips with the sad truth of our lives. Children are murdered, thousands die in natural disasters, we toil our whole lives for nothing but the sake of living. Spirituality and religion give us something to focus on and believe in beside the terrible events we see.

You may be thinking that I am a terribly unhappy or bitter person right now. Maybe even nihilistic in nature. I assure you that this is not the case. On the contrary, when you do not have an afterlife to fall back on, & won't be reincarnated, this life becomes all the more precious. Every action becomes important. It is also vital to make ensure that your actions have only positive effects other people. Everything is important when there ar no second chances.

I have come to this place gradually over time, and adjusted and come to grips with it to the point where I am happy & comfortable. I take great pleasure in my life, and have found a purpose outside of bare exisitence in my family & friends.

Oh, and thank you very much for asking me about this.

Regards, Canis

Edited by Caniswalensis, 06 August 2009 - 08:43 AM.

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#22 duncan36

duncan36

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:17 PM

The purpose of spirituality can also be malevolent, without that reality spirituality couldnt rise to the highest mountain. When you look at what the black magicians and evil spiritualists at the center of the Nazi movement wrought on man kind. I think it would be foolish as Darth Vader put it to 'underestimate the power of the dark side'.

#23 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

Regards, Canis

Well, I was not sure if I would be opening a can of worms or not. :) Since you asked, I will elaborate, but first let me say that I do not intend to insult anyone for their beliefs here. I do not look down on believers or think ill of them because they look at things differently than I do. If anything, I envy them a little.

I feel that spirituality & religion were created by man for two primary reasons. First to explain things that are not easily understandable through casual observation, and secondly to shield ourselves from facing some very unpleasant truths about the human condition.

Our lives are short, brutal, unfair and filled with confusing events. Spiritualtity & religion give us hope that we will continue after death, that our beloved dead are still with us, that those who escape justice in this life will face it in the next. It allows us to pretend there is a great and important purpose to all the randomness we see around us. It allows us to pretend that our lives have a real and important purpose.

It is very difficult to come to grips with the sad truth of our lives. Children are murdered, thousands die in natural disasters, we toil our whole lives for nothing but the sake of living. Spirituality and religion give us something to focus on and believe in beside the terrible events we see.

You may be thinking that I am a terribly unhappy or bitter person right now. Maybe even nihilistic in nature. I assure you that this is not the case. On the contrary, when you do not have an afterlife to fall back on, & won't be reincarnated, this life becomes all the more precious. Every action becomes important. It is also vital to make ensure that your actions have only positive effects other people. Everything is important when there ar no second chances.

I have come to this place gradually over time, and adjusted and come to grips with it to the point where I am happy & comfortable. I take great pleasure in my life, and have found a purpose outside of bare exisitence in my family & friends.

Oh, and thank you very much for asking me about this.

Regards, Canis

Your are welcome oh so much it is I that thanks you for youe input....Thank You.. :D

#24 10thmuse

10thmuse

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

I like the way Shawn differentiated religion and spirituality. Religion is the path, and spirituality is the intended destination.

Spirituality is positive expressions of goodness, the study of many outlets to discovery the many mysteries of life.
Religion is about BELIEVING anothers interruptation of what they are told and what something they read means to them and they "the congregation" basically believes the same thing or they are not accepted so typically when two or more people meet in the name of a singular person, which Jesus called celebrating in his name or something to that effect. To those that believe that, it is considered to be a RELIGIOUS gathering.

Spirituality, on the otherhand is more open and less restrictive on "if" the person sitting next to you believes what you do or something close to it or even different. These people typically are sharing their beliefs not being told what to believe. It is about faith period without a demonination. It allows everyone (to think believe and act as they choose) and to construct, follow, or develope their own conclusions. Allowing people a voice and brain to contemplate all there is and to make of it what they choose "free will."

Religion has restrictions to some things. Depending upon the relegion depends on the restrictions. To me relegion is very close to insanity and it is a fine line if not insanity darn near close.

It sounds like their are a lot of dark wicken types and or non-believers here?

I hope thats not the case!

Nameste,
10thmuse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users