What is the purpose of Spirtuality?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:47 PM

;) Is the purpose of Spirtual Development the ability to be able to use the total mind for higher purpose instead of 1/4 of the mind?

In fact what are your thoughts on the subject at hand...

All input will be greatly accepted.....

Thanks; Blessed be!!!!
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#2 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

Greetings Venusmoon32 ;) I'll have to mull it over for a while before giving a definate answer, great question indeed though ;)

btw, Welcome to GV :hug:
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#3 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Willow!!! Take your time..... I know your answer will be interresting indead... :wave:
:whee: :wave:
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#4 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:34 PM

The purpose of spirituality is to let us remember what our real being is. Our bodies are very transient and will eventually die, but we are not our bodies. We are spirit and the spirit plane is our true home. We are just visitors here and we will not remain.

Spirituality takes us back to god and we are part of god. Spirituality lets us remember that we are one with everything.
petunia4998

#5 Chrltt

Chrltt

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Urban Legends, taking photoes, the sims2, but theres so many to think of

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:20 PM

petunia I like your answer :( Very well thought indeed!! :hug: and very interesting!

#6 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:12 AM

Verry well put..

thanks for the input.

#7 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:11 PM

Spirituality's purpose is to help us become one with the Divine. It gives us hope for what comes after we die and eases some of the trials we face in this frail existence.

Spirituality assures us that the good people will eventually be rewarded, and that evil leads to a just punishment.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#8 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Music (all kinds except country), Witchcraft (mainly celtic but interested in everything). I love learning about all different types of religions.
    I sing the national anthem a few times a year.

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:41 AM

very well put aloha! That's my exact feelings on spirituality too

#9 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:15 PM

Everyone has stated it so beautifully! Spiritually to me means change, the ability to expand our consciousness beyond its present boundaries, entering into a greater understanding.

To take a quote from Henri J. M. Nouwen, "The spiritual life does not remove us from the world but leads us deeper into it."
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#10 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:40 AM

Spirituality - for me - is a way of life, which would enable me to get attuned with THE ONE.
Posted Image

#11 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

I would like to reopen this topic on Spirituality except for the purpose bit I'd like to see some views on if religion and Spirituality r one in the same or if there is a difference?

Thanks

#12 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

I don't think I can top the answers already given to the first question! But I'll just say that spirituality is something to be cultivated and exercised in my opinion. You have the body, mind, and spirit. Everyone knows how to work and exercise the body and mind to keep them sharp and healthy, but not everyone knows how to do this with the spirit.

As for your second question I don't personally consider religion and spirituality to be the same thing. Religion is a path, a set path to achieve spirituality. But you can be spiritual without being religious or even partaking in any religion. You can also be very religious but not very spiritual. And finally you can attend religious services regularly and still be neither spiritual nor even religious!

Edited by Shawn333, 25 July 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#13 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

I think it comes down to each person's way of experiencing a higher realm.

To me, religion is where people with the same doctrine of beliefs gather. I always went to church, and built my faith on the rules of a paricular faith. I conidered myself a religious person.

Over time, though, I began to disagree with many of some of the doctrines and rules. I wanted to worship God without the rules that religious groups put up around me. I always have, and always will believe in God, but my faith is now my own. I stil pray every day. I just do it outside of the walls of an organized religion.

Because of this, I consider myself spiritual, rather than religious.

To me, I guess it boils down to religion being a building and set rules of how to worship. Sprituality is worship God (or whatever your higher power is) within yourself.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#14 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Trying not to step on the land mines that others have planted in front of me. No sense saying more, as this will be removed anyway.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

Both are interesting aspects of the same "ball of wax". I think that they need not serve any concrete purpose to be functional to ones daily belief systems. They exist, therefore they function, whether we give conscious credit to them to what they do or what we think they do or not.

#15 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

Thanks .... These are interesting views.... I, to, believe there is a difference in the two... Like Crone , I grew-up in a religious family..... I consider myself Spiritual but not religious.. To me , both are a way of living.... Each to their own.... Spiritual is within and religion is witout the humanself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users