35 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:03 PM

In Stowe, Vermont, there is a bridge that many refuse to cross after dark. It is said that a ghost named Emily haunts the covered bridge, and she's not your typical spirit that shows herself for a few seconds and then vanishes. Emily is a ghost to be feared. She is known for shaking cars and slashing victims with invisible claws.

For many years, some say as many as 150, horses and cars have been mysteriously clawed. A woman's voice has been heard, and strange lights seen at Emily's Bridge. Many pictures taken of the area have shown whispy streaks or "orbs".

There are a variety of legends about Emily ranging from a jilted lover who hung herself from the bridge 150 years ago to a woman who claims she invented the ghost story in the 1970's to scare her own children.

Emily's Bridge looks quite serene in the daylight, but at night the covered bridge takes on a dark and spooky appearance. It takes a certain bravery to enter alone after dark; and with the loud rushing of water clouding your sense of hearing, and the pitch blackness of nightime in the country, the mind easily recalls every chilling story associated with the bridge.

On a side note, it has been noted that there are many fireflies in the area, which could account for the mysterious lights that appear.

Posted Image
Emilys Bridge, or "The Gold Brook Bridge" by it's official name.
Posted Image

#2 Libramoon

Libramoon

Birthday Party Streak er

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all things paranormal. I often go to haunted locations to take pictures and EVP's. I also live in an active location and have taken many pictures and EVP's in my home.<br /> I love to read just about anything and I hope one day to become a writter of both fiction and paranormal non-fiction. <br /> Our world is still a very mysterious place. We haven't even scratched the surface!

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:48 PM

That sounds creepy to me. Have you ever been there?
To himself everyone is immortal; he may know that he is going to die, but he'll never know that he is dead. ~Samuel Butler~

#3 Justa

Justa

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:11 PM

No Libra, I have never been there. However, after reading it, I would jump at the chance to visit it and see if there is any truth to the stories. Of course, I don't know if I would do it alone, but if there were a couple of others watching, I would walk across the bridge at night, alone.
Posted Image

#4 SpookyChic

SpookyChic

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:41 PM

My husband and I visited Emily's Bridge on our way to Montreal about a year ago. It was a very creepy place, in my opinion! We videotaped while we walked through the bridge, and the camcorder just went dead....on a fully charged battery! We were both freaked out, and as we drove away, the camcorder came back on, - was working fine!

I would like to go back there again!

#5 Justa

Justa

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:00 PM

That's excellent Spookychic. It's always great to hear from people who have actually visited these places. When you looked at the tape later, was there anything abnormal on it?
Posted Image

#6 SpookyChic

SpookyChic

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

We got a little bit of footage as we approached the bridge, but then the tape went snowy, and then nothing!

#7 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:59 AM

There was a great article about her in the new book Weird New England by Joe Citro and the Weird NJ guys. She is pretty legendary around these parts!
Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

#8 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous &quot;green monster&quot;) lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:21 PM

I read about Emily's Bridge in a book called "Curious New England". I hope to visit there this summer as my husband and I have always wanted to go to Stowe, Vt. A friend of mine who is really into covered bridges of New England was in Stowe a couple years ago. She said she never got any pictures of the bridge because the battery in her camera went dead when she got there even though she said it was working fine just before she got there.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#9 Justa

Justa

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

If you do get the opportunity to go, I'd love to hear what you see / hear / feel. Perhaps you could get one of those cameras that don't take batteries, if you go in the day time. Or take a spare set of batteries for night time. It would be interesting to hear if both sets of batteries die.
Posted Image

#10 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous &quot;green monster&quot;) lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:19 PM

I went to Emily's Bridge in Stowe, VT today. I didn't expect it to be in such a remote area on a dirt country road. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, I didn't feel anything strange and nothing unusual came out in any of my photos. My husband did have a moment where he was having trouble with his camera turning on, but it did not last long. What a quiet area, the 15-20 minutes we were there, we did not see a person or a car go by.
It must be creepy at night there though. Here are some photos taken today at the bridge.

http://i5.photobucke...13/DCP12878.jpg

http://i5.photobucke...13/DCP12887.jpg

http://i5.photobucke...13/DCP12884.jpg
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#11 nnyprs

nnyprs

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

I will be planning a trip here soon. I have read all of Joseph Citro's books, and he is a very good story teller. ANyone in the Vermont area should pick up his books. You can get a good sense for where to go in VT by that book.
The Northern New York Paranormal Research SocietySEEK TRUTH!!!The NNYPRS Discussion ForumSEEK TRUTH!!![url=http://www.blogtalkradio.com/NNYPRS[/url]SEEK TRUTH!!!Posted Image

#12 Juniper

Juniper

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:i love food.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:45 PM

wow, that is kinda creepy. and there weren't any weird things in the pictures, but you never know. ghosts do tend to only show themselves to certain ppl! I'd love to go too.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:searching for haunted places as i drive cross country in my 18 wheeler with my lovely wife and meeting people to go ghost hunting with and playing fantasy sports

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

very weird so many places to see so little time :Wall: :Wall:
Posted ImageWWW.SOUTHERNSPIRITSEEKERSOCIETY.COM

#14 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

~Justa...that was neat!!!! I'd go on that bridge by myself, sure! But I'd want someone in the background taking photo's & shooting footage, ya know!!! I just love stories like that, although I'm sure the folks who witnessed it would be ready to say differently! I'd love to see pics of that bridge at night.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#15 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:37 PM

I have to say that that sounds pretty cool. I would love to go there and see it....can anyone get me good directions...id be coming from connecticut....ill plan a day/night trip out of it to see what i could get out of it and maybe if anyone had any other suggestions for when i go up there...maybe some other haunts right around the same area would be nice......itll be a hell of a trip.....
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users