• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 tkite

tkite

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. <br><br>

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

I thought I might start this topic on Freemasonry. My father was a Mason, and so was my Uncle, and I am a Mason. I will happily entertain questions about this secret society as long as it doesn't interfere with my oaths to secrecy.

:whee:
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#2 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,378 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:43 PM

I'll start here. For those villagers that might not know....what is a Mason and what is involved with it?
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#3 tkite

tkite

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. <br><br>

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:28 PM

Masons are men who belong to the world's oldest secret society. You can even read about them in the book of Kings (Overseers of the Work are Master Masons). The Masons have been around for a very long time, and were only 'organised' in 1717 under the United Grand Lodge of England.

What do they do?

The Masonic Order is an initiatic secret society, or 'society of secrets' as some say in this day and age. The Order acts as a 'builder of men' so to speak. The goal of each Mason is to get rid of the vices they have to make themselves into better, more perfect 'stones'....... spiritual stones that is for the afterlife. There is much more to that ... Masonry is very compatible with all forms of religious belief systems, but is not a religion itself.

Also, Masons help each other, everywhere they go. Aside from the help they render to each other, there are many philanthropic organisations that they run such as the Shriners hospitals, centers for crippled children etc.... All free of charge to children who need the care.

Most of the men who founded the United States were Masons.

:weeee:

#4 grendel

grendel

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Movies, Work, Kung Fu, Sci-Fi, Going to bed as the sun rises, eating, breathing, bathing (on occasion), Nature...and so on and so on....

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:44 PM

Do Mason have any specific religious practices?

Do the oath change after passing the 3rd degree?(You might want to explain the degrees for everyone)

Do they practice any "bizarre" rituals?

I have always wondered about them. I have even been approached to join them. (through a petition)
I'm just a very well-paid juvenile delinquent -Al Jorgensen of MinistryIf we moved in next door your lawn would die -Lemmy of MotorheadThe only reason we wore sunglasses onstage was because we couldn't stand the sight of the audience - John Cale of The Velvet Underground--------------------------------------------------http://fotofight.com...um_home/Dewlso/--------------------------------------------------

#5 tkite

tkite

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:59 PM

Do Mason have any specific religious practices?

No, you have your own religion and Masonry encourages you to follow that path, whatever religion it may be.

Do the oath change after passing the 3rd degree?(You might want to explain the degrees for everyone)

There is an oath for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree, and each adds a little more.

The 1st degree of Freemasonry is the Entered Apprentice Degree...
The 2nd degree is the Fellow Craft degree...
The 3rd degree is the Master Mason degree...

The side degrees are the Scottish Rite (4 - 33 degrees) and these 'extra' degrees are knowledge added onto the 3rd/Master Mason degree. The Master Mason degree is the 'highest' degree, and the degrees of the Scottish Rite of Masonry just expound on the Master's degree.

There is also a York Rite of Freemasonry which does the same thing as the Scottish Rite, but culminates in the member of the Order being Knighted into the Order of the Knights Templar.

All initiatic orders have rituals. I would not say 'bizarre' myself. There is definitely nothing immoral about the ritual work of the Masonic Order if that is what you mean.

#6 grendel

grendel

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Movies, Work, Kung Fu, Sci-Fi, Going to bed as the sun rises, eating, breathing, bathing (on occasion), Nature...and so on and so on....

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

All initiatic orders have rituals. I would not say 'bizarre' myself. There is definitely nothing immoral about the ritual work of the Masonic Order if that is what you mean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, What I heard there is a "odd" ritual dealing with the 3rd degree. Something about a coffin or something. (nothing that is unlawful just, odd) Is this true?

What does it mean to be a freemason?
What are the goals of freemasonry?

I am sorry for asking all these questions, but I am very curious.
I'm just a very well-paid juvenile delinquent -Al Jorgensen of MinistryIf we moved in next door your lawn would die -Lemmy of MotorheadThe only reason we wore sunglasses onstage was because we couldn't stand the sight of the audience - John Cale of The Velvet Underground--------------------------------------------------http://fotofight.com...um_home/Dewlso/--------------------------------------------------

#7 tkite

tkite

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&amp;AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:40 PM

Ok, What I heard there is a "odd" ritual dealing with the 3rd degree. Something about a coffin or something. (nothing that is unlawful just, odd) Is this true?

Well I'd like to tell you about the figurative death.... but I cannot. It is part of your 'raising'.............

What does it mean to be a freemason?
What are the goals of freemasonry?

What does it mean? When you are a part of the brotherhood, part of this society, it means you are part of the worlds most connected organisation. Each brother is part of the 'Mystic Tie" as we like to refer... You have a brother Mason anywhere you go in this world, and you are eligible as a brother to recieve the benefits of membership........

There are no set in stone (hey that's a good one!) goals of Freemasonry, except that of renewing our blood. We are always looking for prospective members... if you have been asked to petition, then that is VERY honorable, and you should greatly consider. Masons rarely ASK anyone to join the Order.

#8 grendel

grendel

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:45 PM

It was a family member who asked.

Ok, now a tough one. What happens if you break your oath or are found guilty of breaking a rule?

What if you have family members who are not part of it or does an act in which the freemasons consider wrong? What then?

(I've heard "stories" about these kind of situations, and this is what is holding me back)

#9 tkite

tkite

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&amp;AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:21 AM

Ok, now a tough one. What happens if you break your oath or are found guilty of breaking a rule?

Then you can be brought up on Masonic Charges........ If found guilty, you can be expelled from the Order. In other words, it wouldn't be good. Most likely you would not be able to get a job anywhere unless it was scrubbing toilets. Then again, it depends on how serious the offense was... We take our oaths seriously. We take oaths to protect each other to the death.

What if you have family members who are not part of it or does an act in which the freemasons consider wrong? What then?

You are only seen for your own actions. You may be councelled to try to remedy the situation, but you are not responsible for the actions of other people.

#10 grendel

grendel

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:27 AM

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, I find your answers very informative.

One more if I may. Do you find any conflicts between being a christian (assuming that you are) and being a freemason?

#11 tkite

tkite

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:33 AM

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, I find your answers very informative.

One more if I may. Do you find any conflicts between being a christian (assuming that you are) and being a freemason?

I opened the subject to offer a little light into the world of Freemasonry, so it's no problem.

I am actually a Wiccan, not a Christian. However, I do not find anything which would conflict with a Christian joining the Order. Most Masons are Christian, and those who are go on to join the York Rite. All memory work done by initiates through the 3 degrees is taken from the Old Testament of the bible, here in Texas. We have mostly Christians in our lodge, some Catholics, a couple of Orthodox Jews, and myself.

#12 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 06:40 PM

What are the biggest misconceptions of Freemasonry? What's the process to becoming a Mason? Do they donate or raise money for charities or causes and if so, which ones?
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#13 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Music (all kinds except country), Witchcraft (mainly celtic but interested in everything). I love learning about all different types of religions.
    I sing the national anthem a few times a year.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:38 PM

I have heard that masons only accept men into their group is this true?

Tkite, thanks for this post, I have always wanted to know about masons. :cheerleader:

#14 no1plumbrr

no1plumbrr

Would let the taxpayers foot the bill to go to a GV convention

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:DENISE
    ghosts, aliens, and anything crazy.

FEARS: clowns and now BEP, thanks guys you rock ! ;)

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:55 PM

Thank you for this post very interesting and informative and well written u must be a journalist or writer
In love with an awesome woman
SHALOM my friends !

#15 joneb

joneb

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Going to the movies, reading (occasionally) both especially in sci-fi, horror and fantasy genres. Apart from that Im pretty lazy and desparately need to get more physically active.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:13 PM

I have to ask this, why are the Masons so secret?

Do they have something to fear, or are they embarassed about certain things they do or do they have an agenda going on that possibly isnt condusive to the well being of others or do they have enemies that want to get information on them or from them?

Why the secrecy in 2005? I may be being hard on you but I dont feel I can trust a society of some importance who keeps secrets and that includes our governments as well. I can understand the reasons for government organisations but not for a body that is just really a group of such wide and varied people, includingthose with power and authority with the same belief.

BTW my father and all my uncles and many of my cousins on my mothers side were/are masons and I grew up going to parties at the local lodge. Still i will never trust them. What I do believe is that many join just like sheep to be part of something and dont really bother about the stuff going on they are privvy too. Im interested in the bigger picture.

If Im being paranoid then surely all can be explained clearly to alleviate that. Could it really be just people wanting to think they are a part of something important or a big family looking out for itself and thats it. I dont think so, its to big for that. I do believe though that not all the members have the big picture, just those at the top. Remembering the Nazi regieme and so many cults and political and religious organisations in the past its just like sheep to let wolves make them do terrible things in the belief they are dong the right thing. Im not saying thats going to be the case but this does concern me.

I may sound like Mr Conpiracy Theory but there is one thing worse than not telling the truth when it comes to creating fear, mistrust and anxiety, and that thing is not telling what needs to be told.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users