Freemasonry

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#16 joneb

joneb

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Going to the movies, reading (occasionally) both especially in sci-fi, horror and fantasy genres. Apart from that Im pretty lazy and desparately need to get more physically active.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:26 PM

I may sound like Mr Conpiracy Theory but there is one thing worse than not telling the truth when it comes to creating fear, mistrust and anxiety, and that thing is not telling what needs to be told.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could be possible the fact that Im watching the entire series of "Millenium" right now which may be influencing my near paranoia. I dont think the "Brothers" are truly part of any monumental biblical conspiracy that may pertain to the end of the world but then how am I supposed to really know. All I know is that secrets are for a reason and if I knew at least why the Masons have secrets I may partly be less skeptical of their motives and not as driven to be concerned.

#17 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:51 PM

Well, Mason's aren't the only secretive folks out there. Wiccans and Pagans will be secretive as well about many things.

In my mind, the secretiveness of Masons is NOTHING to be fearful of, NOTHING to go creating bizzare and rambling conspiricy theories about (although they DO make interesting reads). I personally akin the secretiveness with that displayed by the Gentleman's Clubs of Victorian England. Just because they could. Cause it's fun to be part of something secretive.

Also, perhaps it's due to the simple fact that yes, in the year 2005, despite our best efforts, people still go on 'witchhunts' against those who they have little understanding off. And what I do know about Masonic rituals, they are a little strange to the outsider, and probably to a few insiders. Don't believe me on that? Look at your own post. :chainsaw: Look at the average Westerner's outlook on Islam as a whole right now.

Basically in my mind, Masons are a boy's club, similar to but likely older than Kinsmen. They do good works in the community (I used to work for a Mutual Fund Company and we often donated prizes to many a Mason charity event for cancer, kids, hospitals, you name it) and have a few beers together and network.

Nothing scary. Nothing 'controlling the world'

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#18 joneb

joneb

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Going to the movies, reading (occasionally) both especially in sci-fi, horror and fantasy genres. Apart from that Im pretty lazy and desparately need to get more physically active.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:09 PM

Well I generally get the idea of what Wiccans and pagans are about. I believe wiccans believe in the power of the earh,nature and the gods of such and practise using the force and energy of the universe where as pagans believe in and worship gods and forces other than christian. These are from what I have gathered from what little communications I have had with people of these particular ideologies and from what I have read on occasion. I could be completely and utterly wrong but at least these people will tell me what they are about. The Masonic dont seem to have a purpose other than a private mens club and wont tell us what they are about just that they are.

As much as youll find it hard to believe Im not interested in being hurtful or bigoted here at all and Im sure as hell not about carrying out "witchunts". I think its healthy to question that which is enigmatic but I never once set out to be damning or destructful but just to voice my opinions. I was a prime canduidate for being a mason giving my families involvement but I have one really good reason not to become one..I cant keep a secret. Its true, Im pretty much an open book and that is why I find it so hard to understand the secrecey and come to be just ever so slightly wary of it, bu believe me I dont lose sleep over it.

#19 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:43 PM

I too, would like to know why there is such secrecy. Why aren't women allowed?
petunia4998

#20 grendel

grendel

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Movies, Work, Kung Fu, Sci-Fi, Going to bed as the sun rises, eating, breathing, bathing (on occasion), Nature...and so on and so on....

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:13 AM

The women's version is called the Order of the Eastern Star.
I'm just a very well-paid juvenile delinquent -Al Jorgensen of MinistryIf we moved in next door your lawn would die -Lemmy of MotorheadThe only reason we wore sunglasses onstage was because we couldn't stand the sight of the audience - John Cale of The Velvet Underground--------------------------------------------------http://fotofight.com...um_home/Dewlso/--------------------------------------------------

#21 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:53 AM

In Masonry, there are symbols and signs that make very little sense to outsiders.

My religion has been atacked many a time with the claim that our founder "borrowed" most of our temple rites from the Masons (many of our founders were 2nd and 3rd degree Masons). There are similarities in the symbols used, but the meanings are different. Both ceremonies include oaths of secrecy, so a fair and accurate comparison is not feasible (would you trust an oath breaker to be fair?).

Masonry has become a hot topic in conspiracy theories (their ties to the Knights Templar are integral details in "the Davinci Code" and National Treasure). I personally believe that the Skull and Bones secret society is much more likely than the Masons to be a secret world government.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#22 matt32

matt32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:37 PM

In Masonry, there are symbols and signs that make very little sense to outsiders.

My religion has been atacked many a time with the claim that our founder "borrowed" most of our temple rites from the Masons (many of our founders were 2nd and 3rd degree Masons).  There are similarities in the symbols used, but the meanings are different.  Both ceremonies include oaths of secrecy, so a fair and accurate comparison is not feasible (would you trust an oath breaker to be fair?).

Masonry has become a hot topic in conspiracy theories (their ties to the Knights Templar are integral details in "the Davinci Code" and National Treasure).  I personally believe that the Skull and Bones secret society is much more likely than the Masons to be a secret world government.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wondering if u know about a book called morals and dogma of the ancient and accepted scotish rite of freemasonry? and if so have u read it?

#23 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

wondering if u know about a book called morals and dogma of the ancient and accepted scotish rite of freemasonry? and if so have u read it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've lived in fairly conservative communities growing up, so books on Masonry were quite scarce in the public libraries. I've noticed a lodge a few blocks from my current apartment, though, so maybe I'll have better luck here.

Most of what I know of Masonry comes from the internet and books that give hints into it.

#24 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:01 AM

Anyone interested in Albert Pike's 'Morals and Dogma' will get lots of info straight from a Masonic source here.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#25 matt32

matt32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:14 AM

Anyone interested in Albert Pike's 'Morals and Dogma' will get lots of info straight from a Masonic source here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i guess u could say there is 32 degree mason somwhere in my family and also genertions of them anyway another book to read is born in blood the lost secrets of freemasonry by john j. robinson ,... i found this book to be much lighter in reading and to be honest couldnt wait to turn the pages on this boook, ..even if you are not a mason,...

#26 SchattenJager

SchattenJager

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Ghost hunting (see above listed web site)

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:15 AM

Greetings, Tkite! I am also a Freemason. as was my father before me and his father before him. In the South its a traditition among many families.

I thought I might start this topic on Freemasonry. My father was a Mason, and so was my Uncle, and I am a Mason. I will happily entertain questions about this secret society as long as it doesn't interfere with my oaths to secrecy.

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#27 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:32 PM

I found this a little puzzling. I always thought that in order to join the Masons, you had to be invited by somebody who was already one and who would sponsor you. However, apparently, that is not the case.

Masons do not solicit for members. You'll need to express your personal interest in joining Freemasonry

Taken from this site: Click Here
Posted Image

#28 masonicpaintballer

masonicpaintballer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:paintball, civil war renacting,ghost

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

I am actually shocked not to see my "Brotherhood" not mentioned here. With the Divinchi Code and National Treasure movies out I figured the stories would be abound here. So some facts about our society with secrets, remember if I was part of a secret society you wouldn't know we were around. So facts vs myth:

Myth: We worship the Devil
Fact: You must believe in God and not be a antichrist to be a mason. (notice i didn't mention any religions)
Myth: We are taking over the world
Fact: Even though a few Presidents, and a lot of law Enforcement Officers are Masons, I assure you its not a plot.
Myth: We are Protecting a great treasure
Fact: You watched National Treasure one to many times

Fact: George Washington was a Mason, nine signers of the Independence was a mason, France entered the war on our side because Ben Franklin was a Mason asking for aide from another Fellow Mason the ruler of France. Generals severing under Washington from other other countries again Masons.

Fact: Countless acts of Masons in the American Civil War. (this is for you Duke) Gettysburg: General Armistead a mason, Genral Pickett, a mason, General Kemper, General Bingham, Lieutenant Stephen Brown, General George Stannard, these are all masons and just a few involved in this battle as well as many others. If your interested please read: "House Undivided, The story of Freemasonry and the Civil War" by Allen E. Roberts.

Yes males are only allowed to be Masons, however, ladies, there are also the Order of the Eastern Star for you.

So how do you become one????
To be 1 ask 1

If you have any questions or want to just chat about it...feel free

#29 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:36 PM

You actually have to dig but it has been a topic of convo....though its always great to have more threads devoted to it :Spaz:

Freemasonry

Edited by Willow, 13 December 2006 - 06:37 PM.

Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#30 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:46 PM

Up until recently, LdS weren't allowed to join the Free Masons. This ban by the Masons was in effect from the mid 1840s up through the 1960s. I suspect it had something to do with how quickly Joseph Smith Jr rose to the title of Grand Master (less than a week after his initiation), and the similarities between certain Masonic rites and the LdS Endowment ceremony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users