Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

im roman catholic and a mason.....

#77 RowanG

RowanG

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:12 AM

the rainbow girls??? im not familiar with them, however, if you are related to a mason you can become a order of eastern star!!!

Rainbow Girls are the younger Eastern Star members. That's what they were called.

#78 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:24 AM

im roman catholic and a mason.....

While the Freemasons have no restrictions as to what faith the member practices outside of the society, some faiths frown upon the Freemason society. The Vatican, head of the Catholic Church, being one of them. For centuries the Vatican viewed Freemasons with suspicion, and forbade Catholics to join.

This does not mean that a Catholic cannot be a Freemason. Just that the Vatican forbade it, so for a long time (prior to the modern era) if a Catholic joined the Freemasons, they had to keep such membership a secret from the Church or face Excommunication. This is what Redhead was referring to.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#79 masonicpaintballer

masonicpaintballer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:paintball, civil war renacting,ghost

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

they still frown on it, thats why they came up with thier own knights of columbus

#80 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

they still frown on it, thats why they came up with thier own knights of columbus

Yes. I was aware of that.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#81 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is the significance of the word "Free" in freemason? Stonemason makes sense to me, but I am wondering why the term "Freemason". Is there any significance at all?

Thanks
Posted Image

#82 masonicpaintballer

masonicpaintballer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

well it refers to "being free to room and seek" in general terms.

by the way, when are we taking over the world. I would like to be involved. I think there are some things we need to got organized. So, if anyone knows when and where the planning meeting is, let me know. Okay? Thanks.

#83 RowanG

RowanG

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:06 PM

I was told not to tell you masonic. You're not world domination material. Whirly Dude You're too nice...

#84 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

by the way, when are we taking over the world. I would like to be involved. I think there are some things we need to got organized. So, if anyone knows when and where the planning meeting is, let me know. Okay? Thanks.

Ummm...you are aware that the folks taking part in this discussion are not prone to the oft hyped belief that the Freemason Society is part of a massive consipiracy theory, right?

You'd better serve the topic at hand if you approached it with a more serious mindset, rather than assuming that we all are totally ignorant of it and believe some of the rather outrageous accusations that have been tossed around over the centuries.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#85 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

I've avoided this thread because I was afraid it would get into a mudslinging event but since it is staying fairly civil I'll add my 2 pennies.

My grandfather was a member of the masonic temple and from his experience it was just a fraternal organization. No more than a group of men who get together and share fellowship and swap stories, nothing more. The only secret that he would not tell was the entrance ceremony. My grandfather was not even a mason by trade, no bricklaying, cement mixing, stone cutting, concrete finishing or anything.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#86 RowanG

RowanG

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:58 PM

My grandfather was not even a mason by trade, no bricklaying, cement mixing, stone cutting, concrete finishing or anything.

The Masons got away from it being about masons and anyone involved in that trade a long time ago. My grandfather was one as well and wasn't a mason or anything related.

#87 masonicpaintballer

masonicpaintballer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:55 AM

actual the trade died out, thats why free and accepted masons strive from, basically masons without jobs. after the medieval times, there was no need for the elegant structures created by masons.

as for our secrets, just becuase someone knows a handshake, maybe a few words here and there, noone but us masons know our true secrets, and thats where we are prepared to be a mason.

#88 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:22 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is the significance of the word "Free" in freemason? Stonemason makes sense to me, but I am wondering why the term "Freemason". Is there any significance at all?

Thanks

Justa,
I believe this may have to do with the original masons and their guild. In the Middle Ages, unless you were of royal blood, you didn't own anything, including yourself. Everything was the property of the ruling class. When the king would reward someone, it was usually with a title and land - the serfs came with the property so to speak. If you apprenticed out to a specific trade, such as masonry, you became the 'property' of that person. Once you completed apprenticeship, and met requirements, you became a free and accepted member of that guild. You could own your own tools, and travel about freely -without permission from the royalty, and practice your trade where ever you found work. I recommend a historical novel by Ken Follett - "Pillars of the Earth". He usually writes thrillers, but this is truly fine literature. It tells the story of three families, one of which is a mason's family. It details the construction of a cathedral in Medievil England. It's a great read and you'll hardly realize you're actually reading history.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#89 masonicpaintballer

masonicpaintballer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

just read freemasons for dummies, it was written by a mason, as a matter of fact a msaon from one of our indiana lodges :D

#90 Papulani

Papulani

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:16 PM

just read freemasons for dummies, it was written by a mason, as a matter of fact a msaon from one of our indiana lodges :)

I'm really glad to see this thread, even though I'm a tad late. My dad and grandfathers were all masons (grandpas went to 32nd). I've never had anything to do with them, but I did have a night experience (okay, call it a dream) where I was standing on a checkerboard floor with fabulous arches. The arches weren't "pillars", but I have seen images very similar to this experience on masonic websites, etc. My dad couldn't remember the relevance of the checkerboard floor and arches. Any ideas?

Papulani

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users