Helping animals after natural disasters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ambra

Ambra

Should not travel without a map

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, of course, reading, arts and crafts, particularly cross-stitch, movies.

Posted 29 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

From reading people's posts in Cyn's thread about Hurricane Katrina, I know alot of people here are animal lovers and want to do what they can to help them. I just saw an interview with the head of a non-profit organization called Noah's Wish which is specifically dedicated to helping animals and their human companions before, during, and after natural disasters. They have guidelines and tips on how to find shelters for your pets if you ever have to evacuate your home as well as ways to help, including a list of items that you can send to the organization to help with their rescue efforts as well as how to make a financial donation. Their site address is www.noahswish.org if you are interested in helping out or want to get info on how to help your furry family members in case of a natural disaster.
I got smacked by aloha spirit!Posted Image

#2 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:25 AM

Great job, Ambra! I will definately go onto their site. The American Humane Society will also assist.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#3 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

Here's a site for the American Humane Society:

https://secure.hsus....elief_fund_2005?
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#4 Ambra

Ambra

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, of course, reading, arts and crafts, particularly cross-stitch, movies.

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for adding that link to your post mrspookypants! Hopefully GVers reading other threads will link up and see what they can do. Since I get a discount at work, I'm going to try to get some of the stuff on their supplies list and put together a carepackage when I get paid again next week. What I like about their site also is that they have instructions on how to make an emergency plan for your animals and give you a list of things you should have put together in an evacuation kit and the reason why each item is needed. I thought I was prepared but I realized how wrong I was when I saw that list; I'll probably start putting mine together soon.

#5 Ambra

Ambra

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:04 PM

Just wanted to bump this back up.

#6 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:21 PM

I have another great organization for animals - The International Fund for Animal Welfare. I have already donated to the Humane Society and the IFAW. I am gathering items for Noah's Wish.

#7 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:43 AM

OK - two more. I need to thank our fellow Ghostvillagers for the first one.

North Shore Animal League America
25 Davis Ave.
Port Washington, NY 11050

American Humane Association
63 Inverness Drive East
Denver, CO 80112

Both of these have websites if you type their names into Search. The American Humane Association is different from the Humane Society of America. All of these associations are in the Gulf states right now with mobile units to help the animals.

#8 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

I have another animal website. This is the Texas SPCA:

http://www.spca.org/...e_Template_2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users